Sunday, August 27, 2006

Will I ever get better about updating?!

Seems like I go weeks without even thinking about posting anything new... then when I have something I'd like to share, I don't have the time to sit down and type it all out. Go figure!

Life has been a whirlwind lately... I'll hit the high points of the summer.

In mid June, my stepson Preston and my mother-in-law Marybeth, came to visit us here in Japan. They were here for 6 weeks. We spent a lot of time just hanging out together. There were also some trips to local sites. Tom took them and Andrew to Mt. Fuji. Tom, Preston and Andrew climbed to Station 7 on Mt. Fuji, while Marybeth stayed at the Station 5 tourist center. Marybeth and I went into downtown Tokyo for a day.... just enjoying the city and walking around. Tom also took them to the military lodge area near the base. Tama is beautiful and they enjoyed getting away from the base for the weekend. Marybeth was amazed by the traffic here. The streets are tiny and pedestrians are everywhere.... it is quite an adventure to drive here! :)

After their visit was over in late July, things kicked into high gear! We started preparing for Dewayne to start 11th grade, Noah to start preschool and Andrew to get started with 7th grade homeschooling.

Dewayne has his school schedule all mapped out. We visited the high school last week to finalize his choices for elective classes. He will continue to take computer programming and visual arts type courses. He really enjoys television programming and computer graphics. I hope he will keep going if this is what he wants to do in life. School starts on August 29th.

Andrew has done some review work to get ready to start our new school year. The last year has been reviewing and getting him up to grade level. Now, this year, we are going to be moving forward to the next grade. I'll admit it... I'm scared to death! :) Teaching was never my intention. I simply wanted to prepare him for school and get him back on track. But, he is doing well with the homeschooling and I think he'd slip backward if he went to school right now. We are going to join the Yokota Homeschoolers group. They have monthly field trips and group gatherings. I think this will help Andrew socialize a bit and give me some support if I have questions or have trouble with any specific subject. He's excited about the group activities and a little relieved that he isn't going straight into middle school without getting to know anyone here at this base.

Noah is growing like a weed. He is getting so tall. And just last week... miracle of miracles... he decided in one day that he was done with diapers. In less than 24 hours, that boy was totally potty trained!!! We've had NO accidents, day or night!! The first time we went out after he decided on going to the potty, was to a festival here at the base. I tried to talk him into using a pull-up... but nooOOOooooOOooo.... he wouldn't even consider it! It's underwear all the way now! ;) And great timing too! He will be starting preschool on September 12th. I get all teary-eyed everytime I think about it! I am excited for him to be around other kids his age, and to spend some time away from me so he can be a little independent... but at the same time... :cry: He is my baby. And I just hope he stays this excited about going. When we went to register, he took the "tour" and didn't want to leave! He also had a great time going shopping for new shoes, a backpack and some school supplies!

As if sending my baby off to preschool wasn't heartbreaking enough :) ... he is also going to start playing soccer in September! I cannot wait to see him out there running around with 20 other 3-year-olds! heehee... I just hope my new zoom lense arrives before the first game!

Tom is busy with work. He's been gone a lot... several short trips. He has one more trip sometime in the next few weeks. Then. He will be deployed. It is such a strange emotional situation. I am scared beyond explanation... and I am proud of him for what he does and the man he is every day. And I am sad. He will miss Thanksgiving, Noah's 4th birthday and Christmas. I was really excited about having a real family holiday in our own home. Every year is spent traveling to Florida to see Preston and my family. This year we aren't traveling so I was looking forward to putting up the tree and having everyone come downstairs in their jammies on Christmas morning to unwrap presents. I know it's a little thing. There are much more important issues to worry about, but this one tugs at my heart a little. I will be scared for my husband and think about just how many days he will be gone later. Right now, this is my focus. Tomorrow... it'll be something else.

In the meantime, I have the boys and our hectic little life here to focus on. :)

No comments: