Tonight was my first Japanese cooking class! I learned to make gyoza (gee-o-za) ... it's sorta like a pot sticker at Chinese restaurants. It can be deep fried or steamed.... a thin pastry dough wrapped around a meat & veggie mixture.
The teachers were two very nice Japanese ladies that volunteered to teach at the Family Support Center on base. They were VERY patient with us... the language barrier wasn't as big of a problem as the products! All of the packages were in Japanese... so they were trying to explain where we could find them in the closest, biggest grocery store off base. That was fun!
I had a brilliant thought about halfway through the class... I got my cell phone from my purse & started taking pictures of the products!! Now, when I go to the store, I can just use the pictures on my phone to make sure I have the correct items!
I was pleasantly surprised... although it looks like something that would be very difficult to make, it is actually very easy! I will be making this at home VERY soon!!!
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so when you come home are we going to eat some japanese fixins?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
I might have to improvise with one or two ingredients, but I can make it work!!
ABSOLUTELY!!!
I might have to improvise with one or two ingredients, but I can make it work!!
Post a Comment