Noah has been soaking up EVERYTHING around him lately! He's so interested in learning about the alphabet and spelling and numbers and counting. He wants to write constantly and asks how to spell words. He also wants me to read a bazillion books every day too!
This may not seem like such a big deal to most parents of a 4-year-old, but my child has been SO stubborn all of his life. He had no interest in learning the alphabet or writing anything. He liked to color... but only 5 or 10 minutes at a time! I was so worried about him going to kindergarten because he would get frustrated very quickly if I even attempted to show him something about the alphabet.
Now, don't get me wrong, he's smart. Too smart sometimes. He knew all of his shapes and colors very young, and he could count to 15 before he was 2 and a 1/2, even count up to 15 objects. But he didn't want to learn the alphabet song... didn't want to see the alphabet... didn't like books about the ABC's. And he could not recognize any letters or numbers.
Then... a friend recommended a dvd by Leapfrog. The Letter Factory dvd was an amazing teaching tool. Noah loves to watch tv... although he doesn't sit still for an entire cartoon episode, he wants it on all the time. A learning dvd was just the thing for him. I was really amazed when he sat through the entire 'movie' the very first time I played it. We watched it 3 times in two days... and my child could recognize all but 2 of the letters and knew all of the letter sounds when asked. It was like someone flipped a switch. Anyone with a toddler or preschooler should own this dvd... and the math one... and the alphabet fridge magnets too! Leapfrog is awesome!!! And I should get a commission!
I bought him a preschool learning book months ago... it was collecting dust until recently. He wants to do his "school work" every morning after breakfast. He is all the way through the beginner writing section and the shapes & colors section. He's working on learning to write the alphabet. I think he would go through the entire book in one day if I would let him!
He talks constantly about letters and words and reads the letters on signs when we are out driving. He asks me to spell words and wants me to write letters for him all day long! I'll admit, it does get a little frustrating at times. I have to stop whatever I'm doing to write for him or spell for him. I can't remember the last time I got a shower without him opening the door to ask me about a letter or a word. FYI: Magna Doodles hold up pretty well to steam & water. ;)
Usually he can write his name if I help him along a little with it because his name isn't spelled exactly how it sounds... but last night he wrote his name all by himself!!! He found my post-it notes and used the whole stack... 150 post-its to write his name. *sigh* Anyway, I thought I'd share his masterpiece! heehee...
Please ignore my bad editing! I had to lighten it up and get rid of a really awful shadow on it... since I took this at my dining room table, standing over it, late last night! But, you get the idea!
1 comment:
Well, of COURSE he can write his name ... he is a smartie!
hug that boy for me!
Post a Comment