Friday, January 19, 2007

Teen drivers...

Dewayne is a very careful driver... well, at least he is a very careful driver when I'm in the car! ;) He has hit a few curbs, usually when parking & pulling a little too close to the side because he's being extra careful about parking beside another car... just scraping the tire a little. But this time.... ugh! He really nailed the curb last night and now the tire scrubs when the car turns. He says it "pushed the tire in" somehow. He basically turned to sharp in a parking lot... ya know those end curbs for a row of parking spaces that are sorta half-moon shaped... and then overcorrected so that the side of the tire hit the curb. I'm waiting on the car garage place to call me back about getting the car in to be checked. NO IDEA if he damaged anything... we'll see what the mechanic says. Last night Dewayne said "I know I'll be riding the bus if something is wrong with Tom's car". Ummm, YEAH!

But... since he had semester finals today & had all of his books, I let him drive my car today with explicit instructions to avoid the curbs! The best punishment, other than riding the bus when he has a license, is to drive the "mom car" to school today! heehee

My main concern is that this is TOM'S CAR... and he's gonna freak if it's a big problem. I'm hoping I get an answer from the garage BEFORE I talk to Tom. :)

********* UPDATE **********
We finally got in at the base garage. They are going to inspect it and see what, if anything, needs to be done. The guy took a quick look this afternoon and said it didn't look like it was major. I'm wondering about his definition of "major". He said if it's anything to do with the framework or the body, then I will have to take it to the auto hobby shop because there is a certified body mechanic there. Ok... whatever... just tell me it's safe to drive & won't do big damage until they can actually get us in over there. The guy promised they would call me in the morning as soon as they look at the car. I'll update again when I know something.

*********** ANOTHER UPDATE ***********
And we still don't know how much this is gonna cost. The garage wrote up all the damage... and told me they really don't fix that sorta stuff. The "lower arm" is damaged... and there is some play in a ball joint on that side... yeah.... that's Greek to me! I have to take it to another place on Monday. Frustrating, to say the least. And I told Tom. He didn't completely freak out... but then again, we don't know exactly how much it's gonna cost yet. :)

No comments: